Having acne can take a substantial toll on the way you feel about yourself. Dr. Jurzyk is skilled in the most advanced care options for acne, helping patients from throughout the Wolcott, CT, region prevent breakouts and reduce their acne symptoms so they can regain their self-confidence.
What causes acne?
Acne is caused when the hair follicles become clogged with excess oil and dead skin cells, which combine to form plugs, preventing the skin’s natural oils from reaching the surface. These blocked follicles form a perfect environment for bacteria that cause acne, and as these bacteria grow, they begin to cause inflammation and redness we see as pimples and papules. About 50 million people in the U.S. have acne, which occurs most commonly on the face, chest, shoulders, neck and back. Acne symptoms can become worse during periods of “flareup,” which are usually related to intrinsic factors like stress or hormonal fluctuations.
Acne is made up of two types of blemishes:
- Whiteheads/Blackheads, also known as comedones, are non-inflammatory and appear more on the face and shoulders. As long as they remain uninfected, they are unlikely to lead to scarring.
- Red Pustules or Papules are inflamed pores that fill with pus. These can lead to scarring.
What kinds of treatments are available?
Acne treatment takes time, and most patients will need to try several options before they find the combination that works for them. Possible treatment options include:
- benzoyl peroxide, a topical medication that’s used in some types of mild acne to help keep the follicles clear
- topical and oral antibiotics to help kill acne-causing bacteria
- hormones, used for women who have flareups related to their hormonal cycles
- tretinoin, a vitamin A derivative that works by unplugging the pores
- extraction, which uses a small instrument to remove the blockages in the pores
How will I know which treatment is best for me?
Acne can require considerable time to manage. That’s because the factors that influence acne’s development can vary significantly from person to person, can can also change over time. At Advanced Dermatology Center, we customize every patient’s treatment program to their needs, adjusting products and dosing as each patient’s needs change over time so they can experience the best possible results. Before any treatment begins, your skin will be carefully evaluated and you’ll be provided with guidance on skin care and products that can help you keep your skin as healthy as possible.